Defamation in Scots law -closes 5 April
In December 2017 the Scottish Law Commission published a Report on Defamation which aimed to reform Scots law on defamation. This consultation seeks views on some recommendations made by the Commission in the following areas:
- The statutory threshold test of serious harm;
- Proceedings against secondary publishers;
- The defence of honest opinion;
- Offers to make amends;
- Malicious publications; and,
- Limitation and the multiple publication rule.
This consultation also seeks views on issues that were not raised as a part of the Commission’s reform project including
- Defining defamation; and
- Making unjustified legal threats an actionable delict.
Find out more here: https://consult.gov.scot/justice/defamation-in-scots-law/