A coalition of over 30 organisations, including the Human Rights Consortium Scotland, has jointly written to all party leaders, calling for them to stand up for EU citizens’ rights at this election and beyond.
In the letter, we set out five clear changes that are needed if we are to prevent EU citizens losing their rights and status in the UK, regardless of the outcome of Brexit.
These changes are:
- Make the EU Settlement Scheme a declaratory system
- Provide physical documentation
- Provide the right of appeal in a no-deal scenario
- Issue clear guidance on EU citizens’ rights
- Increase and make transparent outreach efforts
The Consortium, together with SCVO, highlighted the urgent need to protect EU citizens’ rights in a briefing to MSPs.