Human Rights Incorporation in Scotland
- Incorporating Human Rights in Scotland– a project from the University of Edinburgh, bringing academic research together with civil society expertise to develop a framework for best practice on incorporation, ensuring that civil society organisations have the information and training they need in order to influence key decision-makers.
- Incorporating International Human Rights in a Devolved Context– a paper by Dr Kasey McCall-Smith on incorporation of human rights in Scotland
- Incorporating Human Rights in Scotland: Best Practice Framework from International Examples– a paper from the University of Edinburgh which uses international examples to identify a best practice framework for incorporation in Scotland
- Realising international human rights: Scotland on the global stage– a paper by Jo Ferrie, Rebecca Wallace and Elaine Webster on Scotland’s approach to human rights in an international context
Incorporating the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child
- United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (Incorporation) (Scotland) Bill– the Bill which, if passed, will incorporate the UN CRC into Scots Law, September 2020
- Stage 1 Consultation- Published Responses– the published responses to the Equality and Human Rights Committee’s call for views on the Bill, October 2020
- Stage 1 Consultation- Published Responses from Children and Young People– the responses of children and young people to the Equality and Human Rights Committee’s call for views on the Bill, October 2020
- Additional information and resources– the Consortium webpage providing more information and resources on the incorporation of the UN CRC
The National Taskforce for Human Rights Leadership
- The National Taskforce is made up of members of the public sector and civil society. Its role is to establish a statutory framework for the incorporation of many international human rights treaties into domestic law. It will make recommendations for this new law to the Scottish Government in March 2021.
- The National Taskforce for Human Rights Leadership- Overview
- A summary of international human rights law– infographic on international human rights law, produced by the University of Edinburgh
- What and why of incorporation– infographic explaining the basics of incorporation, produced by the University of Edinburgh
- Different types of incorporation– infographic exploring the different ways in which countries can incorporate international human rights law
- A timeline of human rights in the UK– infographic with a basic timeline of laws which protect human rights in the UK
All Our Rights in Law
- All Our Rights in Law is a public participation programme, set up by the Human Rights Consortium Scotland and the Scottish Human Rights Commission in November 2020.
- Its goal is to facilitate discussions around a new human rights law for Scotland, and report to the National Taskforce (see above) on what ordinary people think about human rights incorporation.
- So far, a wide variety of civil society organisations have engaged with All Our Rights in Law, and held discussions with rights-holders.
- Click here to find out more about All Our Rights in Law