The Human Rights Act 1998
- The European Convention on Human Rights– full text of the Convention
- The Human Rights Act– full text of the Act which incorporated the Convention into UK law
- The Human Rights Act: Summary– a summary of the Human Rights Act
Reports and Briefings
- Explainer: The Human Rights Act– the British Institute for Human Rights briefing on the basics of the Human Rights Act
- Defending the Human Rights Act– a summary of the Scottish Human Rights Commission’s work to protect the Act from being repealed
- Twenty years of the Human Rights Act: Extracts from the evidence– extracts from evidence to the Joint Committee on Human Rights’ inquiry into 20 years of the HRA
- Human Rights Act Repeal and Devolution– blog from Christine Bell, Professor of Constitutional Law at the University of Edinburgh, on the impact the possible repeal of the HRA could have on devolution
- Anti-HRA Rhetoric and the Conservative Party 2019 Manifesto: Are the Proposals for a British Bill of Rights and Repeal of the Human Rights Act “Dead in the Water”?– blog from Christopher Bevan discussing the possible repeal of the Human Rights Act
- The Human Rights Act Should Not Be Repealed– Conor Gearty argues in favour of the Human Rights Act
- Historical Context of the Human Rights Act 1998– a video from IRISS about the history of the Human Rights Act, from 1945 to 1998
- Law Gazette ‘Government to review Human Rights Act’ Announcement of the independent review of the HRA, by Lord Chancellor Robert Buckland.
- The Guardian ‘Boris Johnson set for compromise on Human Rights Act – EU sources’– commentary on the independent review and the potential impact of Brexit
- The Independent ‘Boris Johnson ‘Plans to Opt Out of Human Rights Laws’ Amid Brexit Row’– commentary on the announcement of the independent review of the Act
- Independent Human Rights Act Review: Call to Evidence– the call to evidence for the independent review of the HRA is now open. Organisations have until the 3rd March 2021 to respond.